Translate

03 May 2013

Yangshuo – A Western Colony of Sorts


I kept trying to find the best way to describe Yangshuo and I’ve decided to just call it how I saw it. I’ve never been to an actual colony but I have to imagine that Yangshuo is what it would be like. The meeting of East and West in a tiny place along the Li River.

The availability of western food and alcohol was beyond belief, I must admit I think I went 48 hrs without eating any Chinese food……. It’s just so hard to resist sometimes.

My favorite part of Yangshuo was cooking class. I have always enjoyed cooking, in college I had an apartment senior year where I would cook meals all the time with my best friend. I’ve tried my hand at replicating Chinese food in my apartment this year but I’ve had no luck whatsoever. A friend who had traveled through Yangshuo the week before went to a cooking school that he absolutely loved. I decided to check it out.

The school is actually in a fully functioning restaurant, we were welcomed and given a table in the dining room were they allowed us to sample flavored baiju and chose what dishes to make. I was allowed to choose two meat dishes and one vegetable dish.  Then we went up to the classroom, where we each had our own wok. I was given the ingredients for vegetable dumplings, beer fish, and sweet and sour pork; the dishes I had chosen to make. I was taught Chinese style cleaver usage and how to properly use a wok. Within 40 minutes my dishes were done.

One done we sat back down at our table in the main dining room where we were able to feast on our dishes. Random fact in the south dumplings are served with soy sauce not vinegar.





No comments:

Post a Comment