Translate

28 April 2013

I've Met The Doctor in Baisha

On an excursion out of Lijiang I found myself in Baisha, a wonderful town, and home to the Naxi people. 



Getting to Baisha was a little confusing and when I left the hostel I must admit I was only half certain I knew how to get there. Once I was there I was only 60% sure I was actually there until I saw a restaurant I had read about in Lonely Planet. However despite my somewhat confused state I couldn't have been happier. With dirt roads and picturesque mountains this beautiful town was exactly what I had wanted to find. As I wandered through the streets I was also able to see an example of the last pictorial written language used in the world.



Naxi Writing (last pictorial language in the world) 


Although a definite improvement from Lijiang there were still some touristy things in Baisha, or at least what the Naxi people thought tourists wanted. Here you can see the original Mona Lisa (according to the man selling it). When I told him I has seen the original in France he seemed kinda offended...



We also got to see the Doctor. As an avid Doctor Who fan, I love that this man is known as The Doctor. I suppose technically speaking, I even got to go into his TARDIS.


We found it! 

Here is the doctor coming out of his clinic
His full name is Doctor Ho (very similar to Who) and he is a famous doctor of Chinese medicine. Fluent in five languages including English we were able to converse with him easily (perhaps he isn’t fluent at all and its really the TARDIS’s psychic power working in his brain). We arrived at his clinic (TARDIS) during a lull and were able to spend about ten minutes with him undisturbed. At 92 years old he told us his motto “Eat simply, live simply, and above all, be optimistic.” He also made us promise to visit again in 10 years as he will still be practicing medicine. As the Doctor is a very famous man new people quickly arrived to have a world with him. As other people came to see him seeking medical advice we were able to see him work with herbs to create medicine for a woman looking to get pregnant.


The Doctor explaining a perscription

Katelyn, Katie, The Doctor, and myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment