Translate

17 September 2012

Yuan, Renminbi, Quay, Money.


What’s it look like? What’s it worth? Have you adjusted to it?



So many questions about the money!

Fortunately for me, I’ve had the opportunity to travel to many different places throughout my time in college and had used 7 different types of currencies before coming to China. So the Yuan was just another type of money, the trick was learning what its worth. Before leaving the United States I was told by someone who had lived in China that 1 USD = 6 Yuan and that 1 Yuan has the same buying power of 1 USD. This helped a lot when I first arrived in China, being able to quantify it’s value in my head. When things seem expensive I am able to quickly divide the cost by six and see if it seems reasonable in American dollars. Yet that works when traveling through countries, but when you’re getting paid in a foreign currency you need to be able to think of its value without comparison.

For that I’ve utilized some advice once given to me by one of my favorite teachers. “Think about how much you make an hour, how long would you have to work to be able to afford whatever your thinking about buying? Now do you still think it’s worth it?” So as I plan my trip to Shanghai this weekend I realize that I will probably spend one week’s worth of work on it, and I definitely think it’s worth it.

When I’m not buying plane tickets, I find money goes a lot further here than I would have expected. For example today I went out with 10 Yuan (1.59 American dollars) and the intent to buy one red pen for grading and some lunch.



I was more than successful! I picked up a snack of Pizza Bread (that’s what we call it, it’s almost like pizza without the cheese and a different type of sauce), a new red gel pen, 3 kiwis, and a guan bin (sort of like a wrap, its bread with an egg cooked in it that is seasoned with spices and rolled up with lettuce in it). I got back to my apartment with 1.2 Yuan left.



That means I only spent $1.37 in American dollars.



So even though the money does look very different, and the change isn’t as heavy as American change. I think I can get used to this pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment