Translate

30 September 2012

Shanghai – A Birthday Celebration Never to be Forgotten


I know I promised this post much earlier! I expected it to be written quickly when I returned from Shanghai, yet instead I found myself with quite the case of writers block. The purpose of the trip to Shanghai was to visit one of my best friends for his birthday, however the trip ended up meaning much more to me. It got me thinking a lot about life and what I want from it.

The first few drafts of this blog post ended up sounding more like a confused teenager trying to figure out what they want to do when they grow up than a college graduate reminiscing about a fantastic weekend. Believe me, you should be happy I waited to post.

I figured out how to take panoramic pictures!

The Arrival

I flew into Hongqiao airport in Shanghai, just a few metro stops from the University my friend is studying at. I’ve never flown to see someone before, so I’ve never had someone waiting for me at the airport before. I was so excited when I was getting off of the plane, I just had to navigate to the metro station in the airport. Luckily for me Shanghai is much more English friendly than my little city and I had no problem getting to the metro station and buying the ticket. Before I knew it I was waiting at the bottom of the escalator for Matt.

There’s nothing like seeing one of your best friends after a month in a strange place, feels almost like home in a strange way. Sometimes I wonder though if these feelings and experiences like this are a by-product of moving to a foreign country or a by-product of graduating from college and moving on. Food for thought I guess, I’m not sure I’ll ever know. Sitting with Matt waiting for the next train, reminiscing and playing the did you ever imagine game I realized how unimaginable my life is compared to where I was when I first met Matt. If you ever told me that one day I would fly to Shanghai to see him for his birthday I would have thought you were crazy.

Yet instead I found myself giving Matt his birthday present of traditional Chinese alcohol and peanut butter (his favorite food) in Shanghai.

Zhujiajiao



Most Americans chose to celebrate their 21st birthday by drinking copious amount of alcohol and hear about their crazy night from friends the next morning. Matt isn’t like that though, alcohol isn’t really his thing. Instead he decided he wanted to get out of the city to celebrate his birthday, he chose Zhujiajiao an ancient town I had heard of whose streets are water ways. Instead of figuring out how to use public transportation to get there we hired a private car (it only cost $34 USD roundtrip). It was a very nice ride, the driver even spoke some English! Plus we took a scenic route.



The town is beautiful and free to enter, we spent hours walking through the beautiful streets!




The Zhujiajiao had many shops selling everything from traditional paintings to foods I didn't know the English names of.





After a wonderful trip around the tourist section of town we veered a bit and found a nice park to rest in. We're not totally sure who the statue is of however we know that people are allowed to climb on it. I had to wait ten minutes to take a picture of it! People were literally climbing on it. Perhaps once I learn how to read Mandarin I will be able to figure out who the statue is of.


The birthday celebration concluded with a lovely boat ride around Zhujiajiao.



De ja vu?

I’ve been to many cities around the world and have heard many comparisons but I’ve never made one myself. I’ve never really believed cities could feel familiar. My opinion quickly changed upon arriving in Shanghai. The city reminds me so much of Dubai, from the modern sections to the ancient towns just outside the city, I found myself constantly reminiscing of the trip to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

I first coined the term “looking at the future” when I was taking a taxi through Dubai. I’m no stranger to big cities, growing up just a few hours north of New York City, I learned the mentality. Just being a New Yorker means I’m used to the fast pace, I’m often criticized for speaking too quickly. However experiencing Dubai was like nothing I had ever experienced before, from the architecture to the bilingual people, the city reminded me of something out of a sci-fi film.

No comments:

Post a Comment